Digital Carnival Z: Call for Submissions!
Deadline for Submissions: November 18, 2020 at 11:59pm PST
Exhibition dates: April 16 – June 23, 2021
We are seeking engaging, experimental media art works for the 9th Annual Digital Carnival: Z. A festival of cutting-edge media art for audiences of all ages, Digital Carnival will take place as a hybrid festival for the first time from April 16 to June 13, 2021. The festival will highlight emerging media art talent, new and immersive digital technologies, and innovative interdisciplinary art practices.
This year, under the theme of Z, Digital Carnival will focus on artworks that explore the body as a site at which we grapple with shifting social, environmental, physical, and emotional realities.
We welcome applications from artists working across all forms of new media, electronic art, or interdisciplinary art practice.
We welcome applications from artists who have a commitment to using digital media and the virtual space in their practice, as well as experience and passion for working in a socially engaged and/or participatory way.
Gender, sexuality and the body have long been battlegrounds through which power and control are exercised and social inequalities enforced. Through Z, we seek to present a series of media artworks by diverse artists that will make visible alternative ways of occupying and performing the body, past, present, and future. Z references the gender neutral pronoun ‘zie,’ the emergent generation-Z, and the possibilities for moving beyond the XX/XY binary.
We are looking for works that explore the theme of VulnerAbility of Virtua(bi)lity in the context of Z. Vulnerability draws power in the sense that it often motivates individuals and collectives to bond, respond, protect, and promote the values that are easy to be attacked, erased, or lost in the power grips of heteropatriarchy and capitalism. The current pandemic gravitated many artists, organizers, and citizens to a heightened matrix of virtual power. While the World Wide Web and new digital technologies offer powerful means of expression and communication, those means are intrinsically vulnerable to many forms of threat, including cyber-attack, surveillance, data collection, and digital decay. When technologies are the extensions of our bodies, how do we mobilize the vulnerability of our virtual bodies to reimagine who/what we are?
Digital Carnival Z will be a hybrid festival taking place simultaneously on the traditional, unceded territories of the hǝn̓q̓ ǝmin̓ ǝm̓ speaking peoples (Richmond, BC), and on the World Wide Web. Artworks selected through this call for submissions will be presented virtually via a digital platform which will be designed with a focus on user accessibility.
FEES & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Selected works will be presented online as part of the Digital Carnival Z: Virtual Media Art Festival from April 16 to June 13, 2021
- Participating artists will receive an exhibition fee of $360, consistent with 2021 CARFAC fee standards for group exhibitions with 11+ artists, and an additional consultation fee of $322, to work with the programming committee to explore suitable modifications for your work for accessible online presentation.
- Participating artists may be invited to take part in additional public programs for additional fees.
- Limit one submission per artist. Organizations working with multiple artists may submit a maximum of two projects for consideration.
- Both existing works and new works are accepted
- Submitted works must be original to the applicant
- No corporate projects will be accepted
Cinevolution is dedicated to inclusion and access to the submissions process and will accept applications submitted in:
- Digital format, through an online application form
- Single PDF document
- Video submission. No more than 10-minutes and file size must be less than 200MB
- Oral application. If you would like to make an oral application, please contact the Accessibility Coordinator, Iver Smith, at least 10 business days before the application deadline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the exception of digital applications submitted through the online application form, please send all applications to email@example.com. All submissions must be received by November 18, 2020, 11:59pm PST.
For additional information on application and access accommodations, please email the Accessibility Coordinator, Iver Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-803-7150, extension 104.
Digital Carnival is supported by the Government of Canada, TD Ready Commitment, British Columbia Arts Council, and the City of Richmond.