Are you an emerging BIPOC artist or arts worker? Do you have lived experience of disability, or are you Deaf or Hard of Hearing, neurodivergent, and/or Mad? Are you interested in media art or exploring the use of digital media in your work?
Cinevolution is giving out five $1,000 grants to individual artists and arts workers who have limited access to traditional funding. The goal of this program is to provide financial assistance to artists and arts workers for self-directed learning, research, and creative experimentation. You do not need formal arts training to apply. You do not need to produce a complete work by the end of the project.
This grant is for you if you are an emerging artist and/or arts worker who:
- Identifies as Black, Indigenous, and/or a Person of Colour;
- Has lived experience of disability, or is Deaf or Hard of Hearing, neurodivergent, and/or Mad;
- Is over the age of 18; and
- Lives in BC
For this grant, we define an emerging artist as someone who is developing an artistic practice or exploring art as a means of communicating ideas and stories.
Formal training and previous exhibition experience are not required. You can be any age, but priority will be given to youth (18-24 years) and individuals who have not previously received arts funding.
The project/research should:
- Take place between September 1, 2022 and December 10, 2022.
- Be an exploration of media art or the use of digital media in your creative work
Projects could include a number of activities. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Taking a course or workshop to learn a new media arts skill
- Researching and exploring an idea you have with no finished product
- Completing a project you have already been working on with the help of a mentor
Funds from the grant can be used for a number of items, including, but not limited to:
- Paid time to work on your project
- Professional development expenses (e.g. workshops, training, books, or other materials)
- Paying for equipment, software, or subscriptions (e.g. Zoom, Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Professional fees for mentors, collaborators and technicians
- Accessibility expenses (e.g. ASL interpretation, childcare, an assistant for aiding in creation)
- Cost of refreshments or appreciation gifts
- Transportation costs
To apply for a micro grant, please review the application form and submit your response by July 15, 2022 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
You can apply in the following ways:
- In writing, using the online Google form
- In writing, as a single Word or PDF file. Please email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Video or audio recording, through Google Drive, WeTransfer, YouTube, or Vimeo. No more than 10-minutes and file size must be less than 200MB. Please send the file to email@example.com.
- Phone or Zoom call. To schedule a call, please contact Sarah Wang by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-803-7150 and press 5, by June 30, 2022. We may not be able to accommodate requests received after June 30.
If you would like to discuss individualized application support (e.g. ASL interpretation, other submission options, etc.), please contact Sarah Wang by June 30, 2022.
Phone: 778-803-7150, extension 5
- Please describe the activities and/or research you would do with the grant. Suggested length: 300-400 words.
- What are your artistic and/or personal goals, and how will this grant support them? Suggested length: 300-400 words.
- What are your access needs in order to participate in this program?
Applications will be assessed by a selection committee including representation from the BIPOC community and the disability community. More information will be released about the selection committee members as they are confirmed.
Priority will be given to youth (18-24 years) and individuals who have not previously received other arts funding.
Results will be announced to all applicants by August 2022.
Successful applicants must participate in 2 virtual meetings:
- Orientation (1.5 hours)
- Celebration and sharing session, to share your project and learnings (2 hours)
Key Dates and Timeline
- June 1, 2022: Open for applications
- June 30, 2022: Last day to request interview
- July 15, 2022: Applications Close
- Mid August: Results Notification
- Week of September 12-18, 2022: Orientation Meeting
- Week of December 12-18, 2022: Closing Celebration
Questions and Application Support
Have questions? Need application support? Please contact Sarah Wang at email@example.com or by phone at 778-803-7150, and dial 5.